- Vehicle Standard Operating Environment Integration Engineer
Application closing date: Wednesday, 25 May 2022, 06:00 pm (in Canberra)
Estimated start date: Mon Jul 04 2022
Location of work: Australian Capital Territory
Length of contract: 12 months
Contract extensions: The Commonwealth may seek to extend the contract by up to two (2) x 12 month periods for 230 days
Security clearance: Ability to obtain negative vetting level 1 clearance (Must be Australian Citizen)
Rates: $140 - $160 per hour (inc. super)
Scope of Task:
1. The Commonwealth requires the services of a Level 3 Advanced Practitioner Vehicle Standard Operating Environment (VSOE) Integration Engineer to supplement the contractor workforce within the Land Network Integration Centre (LNIC) as part of Army Headquarters. The position is accountable to the Staff Officer Grade 2 (SO2) Generic System Architectures (GxA) and reports to the Generic Vehicle Architecture (GVA) Project Manager (GVA PM), covering the (enduring) development of the VSOE product line at the LNIC.
2. The GxA DEF(AUST) Standards are a suite of documents which inform the design and manufacture of military land platform systems (i.e. vehicle, soldier, unmanned systems etc.), delivering standardisation of materiel systems via architecture interface definitions which are open source and standardised (Interfaces; size, weight, power, digital, human systems etc.). The intent is to improve military preparedness and effectiveness via materiel systems which are integrated, adaptable, interoperable, affordable, and effective.
3. The GxA DEF(AUST) Standards and their associated products each consists of multiple sections and elements requiring expertise from a range of specialist disciplines (i.e. software engineering, power engineering, mobile technologies, embedded electronics, micro electro-mechanical systems and human ergonomics). To meet these diverse needs the LNIC utilises expertise from a range of sources to contribute to the GxA standards including APS & Contractor personnel, Defence and Australian military groups and coalition partners.
4. The VSOE is a first of type development by the Australian Army to establish a common SOE for vehicle platforms utilised within the Land Force including tanks, armoured fighting vehicles, protected mobility platforms, littoral watercraft, and reconnaissance vehicles to support the implementation of the GVA. VSOE version 1.2 was released in September 2021, and work is commencing to develop version 2.0.
5. Upon the completion of the VSOE version 2.0 development work for LNIC, the VSOE product line will continue to develop an implementation of the VSOE as a baseline for Army. The VSOE team will also develop test and conformance tools to assess vendor implementations of the VSOE reference interface design on their platforms, and the integration of applications, software, and other GFE on to Land platforms on behalf of the LNIC.
6. The VSOE Integration Engineer will work within an agile multi-discipline capability delivery team including engineers (software, computer, mechatronics, electronic, mechanical etc.), business analysts, designers, developers, architects, administrators, testers and military capability managers. Externally, the VSOE Integration Engineer will have the opportunity to work with other Australian Government departments, industry partners/private enterprise, and international coalition partners and industry.
7. The Australian Army LNIC team, offers a friendly, flexible and supportive environment, within a highly capable, reputable, and innovative organisation. In addition, access to a range of benefits will be available, such as flexible work practices, access to leading practitioners and processes within Defence, Defence Industry and Military Land Digital Integration domains (both domestic and international).
8. The duration of this contract is expected to be from 04 July 2022 to 07 July 2023 with two optional one year extensions at the discretion of the Commonwealth.
9. It is expected that the majority of services delivered under this contract will be at the LNIC facilities in Symonston, ACT. Interstate and international travel will be required to support Army exercises and integration activities. Remote working arrangements will be considered.
10. A three (3) month period of probation is imposed as a condition of engagement for all new contractors.
1. The contractor will be engaged on a time and material basis. Notwithstanding, the following activities and deliverables are envisaged during the term of this engagement:
a. Design and document the VSOE.
b. Review and provide advice on the design and implementation of interfacing systems and products.
c. Develop and maintain software components.
d. Integrate existing software components and applications.
e. Automate solution installation.
f. Build, administer, and support production VSOE instances.
g. Design and document test and conformance tools.
h. Design and document hardware instances to support VSOE production, testing, and conformance.
i. Transfer knowledge to support personnel.
j. Contribute to training material development.
k. Baseline and maintain system configuration control.
l. Develop and maintain software lists.
Qualifications and Experience:
1. The LNIC is seeking an individual with broad experience in Linux-based and, to a lesser extent, Windows-based integration development and system administration. The VSOE Integration Engineer will be an individual who is able to both design and document ICT products, as well as build, implement, and support instances of the designed product.
2. It is highly desirable the VSOE Integration Engineer has the following experience:
a. Greater than 8 years of experience in Linux system administration.
3. It is desirable that VSOE Integration Engineer has the following experience:
a. Linux system administration experience with RHEL.
b. Qualified RHCE or RHCSA.
c. Customising and administering Linux based servers and applications.
d. Hardening Linux operating systems.
e. Automating and scripting application installation and customisation.
f. Developing and maintaining Linux standard operating environment (SOE) images.
g. Developing technical and design documentation.
h. Experience with Azure DEVOPS and Azure Pipelines.
i. Experience with DEVOPS methodologies.
j. Ability to provide technical advice grounded in broader business requirements.
4. The VSOE Integration Engineer should have experience with:
a. Working with deployable communication and information systems.
b. Understanding of systems engineering processes.
c. Knowledge of the One Defence Capability Methodology.
d. Working within agile project management frameworks.
Ensure your resume is updated to reflect the criteria of the job requirements above