- Service Designer
Application closing date: Tuesday, 26 April 2022, 06:00 pm (in Canberra)
Estimated start date: Fri Jul 01 2022
Location of work: All States
Length of contract: 12 months
Contract extensions: Up to 2 x 12 months
Security clearance: Must have current baseline clearance (Must be Australian Citizen)
Rates: $100 - $120 per hour (inc. super)
The Department of Industry, Science, Energy, and Resources is seeking a Service Designer to support ongoing major projects for the CIO Group. The Service Designer will work in collaboration with the Service Experience Section in undertaking user research, systems mapping, and design and delivery of innovative services. The Service Designer will be responsible for driving a human-centric and holistic approach to service delivery, with a focus on aligning customer, business, and technology needs to deliver effective digital services and delightful customer experiences. This is an opportunity to play an integral part in the transformation of government services to deliver fast, simple and user-centric services for government and the public.
The successful candidate will contribute and support multiple departmental digital initiatives, and service improvements for public-facing and internal services, as part of agile multi-disciplinary teams, in the CIO Group.
The Department is seeking individuals whom exercise initiative and sound judgement, and have the tenacity to see things through and deliver results within an ambiguous environment. They will have strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively and manage relationships with a range of internal and external stakeholders; including team members, product owners and senior executives.
You will work closely with others in the team to:
• Champion a customer-centric and holistic approach to service delivery with a focus on gaining a true, end-to-end understanding of services and their ecosystem, and enable meaningful service improvements and systems design.
• Oversee discovery and user research activities to understand the current state of services and identify user needs and pain-points; undertaking a range of quantitative and qualitative research, and synthesising findings into practical and actionable insights.
• Undertake strategic design and evaluation of services ensuring the business model is feasible and sustainable to achieve strategic business objectives, and meeting the needs and expectations of customers.
• Undertake research activities to identify opportunities for organisation efficiency and capability improvement, and implement change management strategies to ensure adoption of desired change to processes, systems and behaviours.
• Coordinate and facilitate co-design and collaborative workshops, to reframe problems into opportunities, generate ideas, and run design experiments (in order to validate, test, and iterate on service solutions).
• Oversee the delivery of the customer experience across multiple services and develop guidelines, service principles and vision to ensure alignment of teams to strategic vision and ensure the delivery of a simple, seamless, and consistent customer experience.
• Build design thinking capability into the team and organisational culture, helping the organisation see their services from a customer perspective, and enabling teams to conduct user research and design activities.
• Track and measure service improvements to discern impact and delivery of value to customers and the organisation with an ability to instill benefits realisation activities over time.
Please note: Remote working arrangements may be considered on a case-by-case basis in consultation with the supervising manager, subject to business needs. Please indicate clearly in your response the candidates desired work location if outside ACT/Canberra.
- A hands-on practitioner with demonstrated experience undertaking and overseeing research activities to map the current state of services, and the customer experience (including back end systems and processes), and effectively communicating insights through visual artefacts and story-telling.
- Demonstrated experienced leading co-design and collaborative workshops with various stakeholders, and a proven ability to break down barriers and effect change - facilitating consensus for decision-making, and instilling creative confidence for generation, evaluation, and refinement of diverse ideas.
- Experience aligning teams to strategic priorities including developing future state value propositions, business models, and service principles, and undertaking change management strategies to ensure adoption of desired processes and behaviours.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of human factors with relevant experience in Human Centred Design, and managing bias within research.
- Experience working within a multidisciplinary agile delivery team.
- Tertiary Qualifications in a design related discipline (User Research, Design, Psychology, Anthropology, etc.), or substantial experience and in leading, coordinating and facilitating research and design activities.