- User Research/Interaction Designer
Application closing date: Tuesday, 26 April 2022, 06:00 pm (in Canberra)
Estimated start date: Fri Jul 01 2022
Location of work: All States
Length of contract: 12 months
Contract extensions: Up to 2 x 12 months
Security clearance: Must have current baseline clearance (Must be Australian Citizen)
Rates: $70 - $90 per hour (inc. super)
The Department of Industry, Science, Energy, and Resources seeks to fill multiple User researcher / Interaction designer positions to support ongoing major projects across the Corporate and Digital Division. The roles will be responsible for driving a human-centric approach to service delivery, focusing on understanding customer, business, and technology needs and balancing these to deliver effective digital services.
We are seeking experienced User researcher / Interaction designer with a dual skillset, working across both disciplines to understand and translate our complex business needs into intuitive user experience.
This is an opportunity to play an integral part in the transformation of government services to deliver fast, simple and user-centric services for government and the public. The successful candidates will have the opportunity to contribute to multiple departmental digital initiatives, and service improvements for pubic-facing and internal services, as part of agile multi-disciplinary teams, in the CIO Group.
Candidates will work in multi-disciplinary teams to research and design product improvements, features, user flows and user interfaces.
You will work closely with others in the team to:
• Collaborate with a multi-disciplinary team, to help gather evidence and design, iterate and continually improve the experience for users
• Integrate business objectives with user needs to create deliverables such as user stories, personas, user journeys, wireframes, designs and interactive prototypes
• Be responsible for user research plans and determining the appropriate research methods and techniques to achieve digital project objectives as well as managing the recruitment of participants
• Report user research findings, roadmap prioritisation and contribute to presenting insights and concepts to business areas
As a Researcher, you will explore complex problems and communicate insights using a range of user research and co-design methods to design digital products and services.
As a Interaction designer, you will problem solve complex problems and transform them into intuitive and easy-to-use designs for POC, experimentations and interactive prototypes for digital products.
Required skills and experience:
• Experience in research, discovery and alpha phase of the product lifecycle
• Strong understanding of inclusive design, user behaviour, heuristics and website analytics
• Ability to conduct regular usability testing of designs, validating prototypes and incrementally refining concepts
• Experience in creating low and hi-fidelity, wireframe, prototypes for testing and experimentation purposes
• Understanding of design principles and systems
• Understanding and implementation of WCAG 2.1 level AA guidelines as a minimum
Please note: Remote working arrangements may be considered on a case-by-case basis in consultation with the supervising manager, subject to business needs. Please indicate clearly in your response the candidates desired work location if outside ACT/Canberra.
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of UX research methodologies and end to end UX/UI process.
- Demonstrated experience creating high-quality, compelling design concepts and artefacts prototypes, archetypes, journey maps etc.
- Effective communication skills with the ability to work with and influence multiple stakeholders, and clearly articulate design decisions through a well-conceived rationale.
- Demonstrated experience in working with others to translate findings from usability testing into actionable improvements to a user interface.
- Knowledge of Accessibility requirements - Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) and the Inclusive design process.
- Experience working within an agile IT delivery team.
- Tertiary Qualifications in a design related discipline (Human Factors, Communication/Graphic Design, Systems Design, Psychology, Computer Interaction, Web development etc.)