- Senior Data Engineers
Application closing date: Tuesday, 3 May 2022, 06:00 pm (in Canberra)
Estimated start date: Mon Jun 06 2022
Location of work: Offsite, Queensland
Length of contract: 12 months
Contract extensions: 2 x 12 months – Subject to being found suitable in the mandatory OSA
Security clearance: Must have current negative vetting level 1 clearance (Must be Australian Citizen)
Rates: $120 - $180 per hour (inc. super)
The Australian Cyber Security Centre (ACSC) leads the Australian Government’s efforts to improve cyber security. Our role is to help make Australia the most secure place to connect online.
The ACSC is currently looking for Junior and Senior Data Engineers to join our growing Data Services team.
As a member of the Data Services team, you will work proactively to enhance and configure highly scalable, resilient, and observable data analysis, flow and storage platforms in support of ACSC mission areas. You will ensure delivered capabilities meet ACSC capability and mission area requirements using industry best-practices for automating build deployment and change management using DevOps and CI/CD patterns.
The applicant must be a motivated self-starter with strong technical abilities and initiative. They will operate as a peer in a high performing technical team, and require strong organisational skills, attention to detail and be comfortable working in a dynamic and agile environment.
Applicants should have exposure across several of the following technologies and disciplines, and be able to demonstrate how they used them to generate business value:
- Cloudera CDP
- Elasticsearch (Elastic Stack or Open Distro)
- Data streaming technologies (Kafka, NiFi, Spark)
- Software development (Python, Scala, Java)
- Automation services (CI/CD platforms, Ansible, Puppet, Chef)
- Operating systems (Linux)
The ACSC has established collaboration and development platforms to support work to be undertaken remote from Canberra, as a result, candidates outside of Canberra will be considered.
There is an expectation that successful candidates will work 5 days per week (estimated 40 hour week). On boarding is in Canberra, noting there may be a requirement for short term occasional travel within Australia.
ACSC is committed to remaining an exemplar in our response to COVID-19. We have a flexible workforce and have aligned our work environment to meet restrictions implemented by the ACT Government arrangements. Current engagements at ACSC are dependent upon ensuring compliance with these restrictions and meeting our specific business needs. For instances whereby a program of work is unable to be delivered virtually during lockdown, then a mutually agreed delayed commencement will be considered.
Note: An Organisational Suitability Assessment (OSA) is a mandatory requirement for contracted staff working in ASD beyond 12 months. Before submitting an application for this position, the applicant must have considered their preparedness for questions that may include the following topics: personal relationships, living circumstances, personal values, financial situation, physical and mental health history including substance use, and any civil and/or military record.
OSA’s are conducted to determine suitability to work in a high security environment. All employees must obtain and maintain the required security clearance to work in ASD. If you are currently employed in the Australian Intelligence Community or the ADF, you will be provided with feedback on your OSA if the outcome has an adverse bearing on your current employment. No feedback will be provided on the outcome of the psychological assessment process to any other applicant.
- Demonstrated technical experience with big data technologies to deliver high speed search capabilities across large data assets.
- Highly developed technical skills across the build and optimisation of big data cyber security platforms covering the entire stack (hardware, Linux OS and applications).
- Experience designing, building, and supporting data lake technologies ensuring role-based access controls are enforced and audit is captured.
- High level of proficiency with design and build of observable data ingestion pipelines including serialisation, transformation, enrichment and store.
- High attention to detail with solid documentation skills and good client communication skills
- Able to manage multiple, concurrent tasks with competing demand